We are in California now. I was driving a Ford Taurus off my parents lot to Chico going 55 or so. I was taking Tre to go watch Chippy’s soft ball game. Suddenly the gas pedal dropped to the floor and off we went. I pushed on the brake as hard as I could but we were still going over 50. I took my feet off the brake a little a few times to see if it was still accelerating. I then started looking for the parking break which I was use to being on my side. And being a little distracted it took my a few moments to realize it was under the steering wheel. I still was going 45 or so mph. I tried calling my dad but was having a hard time getting to his number ( guess I was a little panicked). I wasn’t even thinking to turn the car off. My mom answered finally and told me to shift down. That didn’t do anything so I put it in neutral. I started slowing down and finally turned the car off. Due to the power steering turning off I didn’t pull off the road completely. I knew it was the brakes but I just wanted to jump out of the car with Tre because massive amounts of white smoke was coming off the car.
It was quite the adrenalin rush but I just hate that when I get in a serious situation I am not very good at doing the right smart thing. First off, I don’t go with my natural instinct that something is wrong. I have to question myself and test to prove that something is really happening. Then I can’t think straight to even perform simple but important tasks like calling my dad for putting on the emergency brake. And the simple solution of turning off the car just didn’t go through my head. Now I am glad I didn’t think of that because I would not be thinking about the power steering going out and I was hitting the break hard. Who knows that would have happened. I’m just thankful there were no stops or slow people in front of me.
No comments:
Post a Comment